Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Ford F150 and am having a problem with the…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Ford...
I have a 2005 Ford F150 and am having a problem with the heater. When first turned on, the heater will blow hot but after about 10-15 seconds the output air will start to cool. I can turn the heater off for a few minutes and when turned back on the same thing will happen. Coolant level is good, hoses to and from the heater core are hot, temperature gauge stays in the center, no problems with overheating. Have already replaced the blend door actuator and the HVAC control module with no changes heater performance. Any idea?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

This is caused by a partial clog inside the heater core inside dash. When you are not blowing air across it then it can build up some heat and then as air blows through it then it will only give hot air until the fins cool off. You can try having the system flushed out to try and clear out some of the blockage and this may improve the heat output. If it does not then the core will need to be replaced.

If this is the case, shouldn't the output hose from the heater core not be hot? I checked both hoses with a laser thermometer and there was less than 5 degrees difference between the two.

What happens normally you would have about a 20 degrees difference in inlet and outlet hose since heat is dissipated into your cabin. Since you are only getting a 5 degrees difference in hoses then this means coolant is just bypassing the heater cores and just returning out other hose. Almost nothing is circulating through the internal cores to send heat to your passenger compartment.

You can try disconnecting heater hoses and back flushing it and see if this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Did you have any other questions for me?

Can you please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for assisting you and can then close out question. Thanks you and have a Happy Holiday.

Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 6 months ago

If you have no other questions for me then please enter a 5 star rating so I get credit for assisting you and can then close out question for you. Thanks and Happy Holidays.