Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am looking for a confirmation on diagnosing a problem with…

Customer Question
I am looking for a...
I am looking for a confirmation on diagnosing a problem with my abs on a 2004 ford f350 v10 xlt. 6 months ago my brakes were soft so I ran some hard breaking abs tests and the problem went away. Now I have the opposite problem. My brake pedal has high pressure so I raised the front and I could not turn the wheels. So I bled the brakes a little to release the pressure and it worked. I was able to turn the tire. Now, the pedal is tightening up again. I am not getting any errors codes from the abs module. any other test that I can perform? Any ideas? Thanks, Phil
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

I would first start out by checking each caliper piston is working ok and the sliders are properly lubed, if thats ok perform the 1 man bleed with bottle and tube and see how it does after that

calipers are good and I did bleed the brakes and problem comes back. I believe it's an ABS problem.

do you have a check engine or abs light on?

no chk engine or abs light

do you feel the abs activating? are the wheels hanging up? or is the pedal just hard?

abs not activating and wheels are hanging up

I would next carefully check all the wheel speed sensors, wiring and speed rings, if these are ok you more than likely have a abd module or hcu issue

Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician