Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have the manual climate control. when the temp dial is…

Customer Question
We have the manual...

We have the manual climate control. when the temp dial is set to cool/blue all works we. however, when the temp dial is turned to hot/red, we hear a clicking from under the dash by the feet. and not heat comes out, just air.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Told it started a few weeks ago, but would go away in a short time and heat would work, now solid clicking and no heat

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

03 explorer xlt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took a look, but can't see much. put my hand on the clicking. feels like coming from passager side from blk plastic box.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats about it, tks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron Z., - Ford Tech - replied 4 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Does this vehicle have a dual-zone system (where passenger's side can control their own temp)?

no, not dual

Ok, Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Please hold one moment while I transfer you to another Tech... Sit tight one minute... someone will be right with you...

Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What usually causes this fault here is a fault with the temperature control actuator on the heater box itself.It fails internally mechanically causing this fault here or the plastic arm attachment that connects between the actuator motor and the heater box door cracks and the actuator has to be replaced.It creates this ticking type noise you hear now and prevents from operating hot and cold temperature properly.This should be located on the side or center of the heater box under the dash similar to as shown below.It has 3 screws that hold it in place.You can remove it and check for damage to the temp door arm to make sure it is o.k. and that the actual heater box arm swings from one stop to the other ( from cold to hot manually).If it does and the arm appears o.k. then the actuator needs replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5o4v7xqqpo3dzsh/act-12-19.png?dl=0

Unfortunately, it is about a 5.4-hour labor-intensive repair as the dash has to be partially removed to access and replace it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Master Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Master Service Technician
Phone call session started
Pete, Auto Service Technician