Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1998 Taurus SE with the 24 valve Duratec V6 motor.

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Taurus SE with the 24 valve Duratec V6 motor. The car unfortunately had to sit idle for 6-8 weeks while I was away. Upon my return, I could not get the car to start. I have never had a problem with this car. I have checked everything that I could. Spark Plugs, wires, etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I had to recharge the battery and the connections are fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, I can perform basic maintenance requirements: oil, filters, spark plugs, etc. Other than that, I would prefer to have a mechanic do everything else.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really. I am suspecting the extended time without use as a symptom of the problem, but I do not no which direction to go.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 7 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Does the engine crank over but not start or does it not crank over at all?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

The engine cranks over and no I have not checked for codes in the computer. I don't honestly know how.

Sorry for the delay!

I can provide you with some possible causes or I can walk you through this diagnoses.

Which would you prefer?