Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The moonroof is stuck in the open position. Found a black…

Customer Question
The moonroof is stuck...

The moonroof is stuck in the open position. Found a black plastic piece that looks like it broke off the track. Took it to dealership and they said it needed a whole new sunroof rail assembly and were going to charge $2200 for it. Found the repair part for the track system for $100. The dealership said they only repair the whole sunroof assembly. Seems like a major rip off. Not happy that this broke on my $60000 truck that is 5 years old!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2012 F150 Fx2 ecoboost

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm about to order the track assembly and try to install myself. I understand the labor that is involved which I wouldn't mind paying for but I refuse to pay $1200 for a part because ford won't charge for the track assembly, they want to charge for the whole sunroof assembly.

Mechanic's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok, ready

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No,thanks!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
12/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 9 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** can I help you?

Is there a way to manually close the moonroof on my 2012 F150 until I get the part I need to replace it myself?
no

Not if the trac is broken, it will not close, you can use plastic sheets to cover it temporarily, until you fix it, are planning on repairing the sun roof your self?

are you still here?