Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just replaced the ignition cylinder in my 2001 Ford

Customer Question
I just replaced the...

I just replaced the ignition cylinder in my 2001 Ford Escape. The key will turn, but will not start the vehicle. The alarm is going off so I cannot program my two new key fobs also. So, I have two new chip keys that are not programmed to my vehicle and two new key fobs that I cannot program.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The key is brand new. Did you read what I wrote or just auto respond to key words?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just explained everything. Are you a person, or an auto response program?

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I pretty much told you everything.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Do you have the old keys for the truck?

No, I lost the keys, that is why I had to replace the ignition cylinder

Then you will have to have a lock smith come out and set up the new keys, or tow it to the dealer. The system has to see the original transponder for the system to let you program the new ones.