Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Fuel pumps not turning on 87 ford ranger 2.9, Replaced both…

Customer Question
Fuel pumps not turning...

Fuel pumps not turning on 87 ford ranger 2.9

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Replaced both pumps and both relays have power at relays

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have good grounds at rear pump and power the pump on the rail just is grounded on both pins no power with key on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Have you checked to see if you have power going in and out of the fuel pump inertia switch?

It was bypassed

Do you have power at the place where it is bypassed when you cycle the key on and of and on?

Checking the butt splice for corrosion
Will check now

Let me know if you have power at but splice when you cycle the key on and off and back on again? You should have power for a second each time you cycle key on.

There is two connecter's above the tray hump one one black the black I was told is the switch with striped blue and black wire
no power

The wires to inertia switch should be orange/Lt blue and Pink/black

Checking

Okay let me know?

The wires are dead
You called it on the colors they are spliced close to the computer

Did you check the wires when cycling the key on and off?

with a test light
dead

Okay you need to go out to the engine compartment and look at all the fuse links that come off of the starter relay on inner fender and look for a blue fuse link wire and pull on it to see if it is burnt? Follow it until it links to a yellow wire and test there for power?

Someone hard wired it with a solid wire and it's hot we have power at relays and back pump when disconnected has power at the connector but forward rail pump just
Seems to have neg. On both pins
Rail pump is not connected as we tested it
Can you email a wiring diagram for fuel system

What are the color of wires to the connector? I do not have the frame mount pump on the diagrams and cannot identify where they go but from memory they go one to ground at pump and other comes from inertia switch. Look at the pumps bracket to make sure wiring is not pinched under it.

The pink/black at rail pump should go straight to splice to the pink/black wire at inertia switch. Maybe if the wires were cut short at PCM then the wiring to the rail pump was not reconnected.

far wire looks good
why is there no power at the enerchia switch should you walk us thru on making sure we have power at the right places on the relays

With the wires that are bypassed and jumped and fuse link bypassed you most likely have burned connections on socket to relay. I am going to opt out since this wiring is rigged too much for me to be able to help you. Maybe another expert has correct diagram that has the rail pump for you. Please do not respond until another expert contacts you.

Need to check relay sockets

Here is 1986 ranger diagram and it shows the rail and intank pump. The relay socket should have power to two sockets with key on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjc0wlrsq9o1qt8/1986%20ranger%20wiring.pdf?dl=0

He knew somethings good but had to pass us on to another tech please connect us to the new tech. Thank You

I am the same tech but found that your vehicle must have 1986 wiring and not 1987.

You need to see if the relay socket has power to two terminals when turn on key?

Did you have a chance to test relay socket?

We have power at sockets
It has power on one only

If you only have power on one then turn off key and see if power to that terminal turns off?

With key on or off the green base has only the yellow hot green is the fuel relay correct?
Also the is no click on the fuel relay when key is turned on and off like it does on the brown relay

The red wire gets power from PCM relay red wire when it is energized and this wire also power all the red wires to injectors and other things. You need to check red wires at PCM relay or injectors with key on to see if you have power with key on?

With key on power on one red wire only at brown relay
There are two red wires only one gets has power ?

You should have power coming out of the dark blue and the yellow wires at pcm relay?

Yellow should have power all the time and dark blue when key is on.

Two reds black with stripe and two yellows to the same terminal

Do you have power to yellow wires?

Five wires total
Always hot

Check one of the fuel injectors to see if red wire is hot with key on?

The red wire with the green stripe is hot at the brown relay
no power to injectors

You are not getting the PCM relay coming on and sounds like the relay is bad. Do you hear relay click on and off when key is cycled?

It clicks
We have to quit soon is there a case number ***** refer to later

With relay energized do you get power out of the dark blue wire? There is a fuse link in the wire after the relay and it connects to injector and fuel pump relay and this fuse like is most likely burned in two.

If you use a jumper wire and connect from the dark blue wire and the red wires to injectors everything should work.

Where is the fuse? I gave you the colors no blue wire ? There is a blue stripe on the fuel relay

This should be the problem as soon as you find the fuse link wire connected to blue stripe wire between it and the red wires in harness.

Can I Sen you pictures

Yes. Just attach them here. The problem now is the open between PCM relay and the red wires in injector and fuel relay red wire.

If you look at both years of the diagrams i sent you and find the fuel pump and ECM relays and look for the fuse link coming off of the ECM relay wire that goes to injectors and fuel pump relay you will have to trace that wire from relay to injectors starting from ECM relay and you will find the fuse link that is burned in two in the blue covering. Talk more if you need me tomorrow.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks had to quit will pick up later will try to open diagram so far can't open what you sent will later thanks

You are welcome.