Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just trying to figure out if there's a coolant bleed valve…

Just trying to figure...

Just trying to figure out if there's a coolant bleed valve on a 2005 F-150.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford F150. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

4.2L V6

12/18/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

There is no bleed valve on the system. Here is the procedure to fill and bleed the cooling system without the special tool.

1. Fill the radiator through the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks.
2. On the electronic manual temperature control (EMTC), move the temperature blend selector to the FULL WARM position. On the electronic automatic temperature control (EATC), set the temperature to 32°C (90°F).
3. Run the engine at idle until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Add the correct coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is at the upper "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" mark.
5. Repeat Steps 6 through 9 until the degas bottle level is correct.

6. CAUTION: If the air discharge remains cool and the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the cooling system.

Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at the A/C vents.
7. Start the engine and allow it to idle until it reaches normal operating temperature. While the engine is idling, feel for hot air from the A/C vents.
^ Hot air should discharge from the A/C vents. The engine coolant temperature gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range and the upper radiator hose should feel hot to the touch.

8. Check the engine coolant level in the degas bottle and fill it as necessary.
9. Repeat Steps 10 through 12 as necessary.
10. Shut the engine off and allow it to cool.
11. Check the cooling system for leaks.
12. Install the pressure relief cap to the degas bottle.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Does the degas bottle bleed the air itself?

Yes, as you fill the system the degas bottle will drop and the air will go to the bottle, then bleen out as you get the level correct.

Do you need more help with this?

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician