Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Developed loud ticking in engine after stopping at redlight…

Customer Question
Developed loud ticking in...

Developed loud ticking in engine after stopping at redlight than accelerating. no codes and no cylinder misfires. sounds like something hitting against a cover in unison with rpms.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

There is no misfire code. no codes at all. and car almost stalled but recovered rpms.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Ford explorer 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Going to take it to a mechanic today, but wanted to get an idea of what it might be. possible timing chain or belt?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Alittle 200,000 miles on vehicle.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The timing chain tensioner can cause this noise here.It can lose oil pressure due to an internal fault when you come to an idle or slow speeds.I have seen the timing chain tensioner fail to cause this issue before.I have also heard the lifters/tappets cause this noise as well at an idle or slow speed due to these not holding oil pressure as well.

These are the most common causes of this issue here.These need to be checked into further to locate which is the cause and once this is done then it can be repaired from there to resolve this issue.You will have to allow the mechanic to drive it to then duplicate the noise so it can then determine which component needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Auto Service Technician