Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I can't close my sun roof, 2012Ford Explorer Limited, 2012,

Customer Question
I can't close my...

I can't close my sun roof

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2012Ford Explorer Limited

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Explorer?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked both moon roof fuses (#8 & #38),

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Both yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Trying to fix it ourselves. Yes

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
12/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be going on. The problem may be electrical such as a wiring, switch or motor issue. There may be a mechanical failure of a guide or cable, or there could be something foreign blocking movement. It's going to require some diagnostics determine exactly what is wrong, the headliner and sunroof assembly may need to be removed for diagnosis and repair.

Do you hear any noise from the motor when pressing the switch to the open or closed position?

No. I have pushed both the tilt and slide with no noise at all. However, the moon roof shade motor still works and opens and closes with no problem.

Did the problem start on it's own or after a battery disconnect, accident, jump start, etc?

Has there been any abnormal noise or operation from it?

It started on its own. After a weekend of not driving it, last Monday (on the way to work), I noticed the sunroof was in the vent position (I didn't put it there). After that, I got it into the closed position but then it went straight to the open position.
After that, there was nothing. No clicks. No motor noise. Nothing.

Can you try a battery disconnect and see if anything changes?

I already did that. Nothing different happened.

The next step would either be to test the switch or gain access to the motor/module and test the inputs there.

I asked this question back in December. I was not able to do anything at that time. Can I get a credit for this or not??
I had bought a motor for the sunroof. I received it, and now need help installing it.do I need to remove the entire headliner, or just part of it.
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

If you were to the point of having tested at the motor and found it was bad the headliner doesn't have to be removed any further, you'd just need to remove the motor screws and drop the motor out. The sunroof assembly doesn't need to be removed to replace the motor.

I have not gotten to the motor yet. Everything I was reading says it is the motor so I bought one before to took the headliner down.

You'd need to test at the motor to know that it has failed.

The front of the headliner will need to be dropped for access. It's best to drop the whole thing because it can become creased if you try to just drop part of it, but if you work carefully you can leave the rear in place and remove the A and B pillar trims to drop the front.

Is that where the hanfle bar in on passenger side?
handle
Are there magnets to pull on after the pillars ate removed.
are

THere are no magnets that hold anything. I'm uncertain what you meant with the other question.

HiCustomer
How do I remove the A and B pillars and lower headliner?

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

OK. Thank you.

For the A pillar trims remove the plugs over the grab handle screws, remove the screws and grab handles, pull the door seals down and pull outward on the panel to disengage the clips.

For the B pillar trims you need to remove the front and rear sill trims and remove the lower B pillar trims by disengaging their clips. Remove the grab handles on the upper trims, the seatbelt anchor bolt, and remove the upper B pillar trim.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician