Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 88 f-350 gas pickup, that the battery has a drain on…

Customer Question
I have 88 f-350...

I have 88 f-350 gas pickup, that the battery has a drain on it when everything is off. I have found that on the postive side of the solinoid, some wires arc when I took them off and reinstall them. One terminal had 2 black that lead off, the other was green with a fuse link in it approximately 8 in from the terminal. I would like to know what these wires connect to?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts good when battery is fully charged, haven`t been using the trk a couple of years

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I only replaced the side tank and its pump and sender

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this is the starter solenoid usually one black wire leads to the starter and the red/light blue wire leads to the ignition switch with the other wire leading from a fusible link.If this is not the solenoid or wire colors you see here let me know so we can continue.I also have a procedure that can be followed to locate the source of the drain just let me know if you would like that procedure here as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Again, 2 black wires 14 ga connected together with a electrical end shows a drain, plus a green wire 14 ga witch has a fuse link 6 in from the electrical connection has a drain,

Can you tell me what liter engine you have in your model as well as is this the starter solenoid you are speaking of?

460 7.5 starter solenoid yes

Thanks for that info it does help.

My info still shows the same.One black to starter,one black from fusible link and one red/light blue from clutch switch or neutral safety switch which leads from ignition switch.

I wouldnt think it would be the black leading to the starter as the starter would be engaged at all times.But it can be the black from the fusible link which is just a power supply.If the solenoid has an internal short though it will cause this drain here.

Here is the diagram info I show for your exact model here so you can see yourself.Unless someone has installed some type of after market component and wired it to the solenoid these are the only wires I see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1km5e06nh2mma9/sol-12-18.pdf?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

These are factory installed wires, and connectors, ok I just touched the black wire on the + terminal and the relays on the left fender reacted.

Is this a box truck or modified truck from factory?

Neither, f-350 7.5 Pickup 8 ft bed

Unfortunately this is all of the info I show on wiring at this solenoid on your model myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this that may have more info.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician