Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1993 thunderbird with a v6 the transmission will…

Customer Question
I have a 1993...

I have a 1993 thunderbird with a v6 the transmission will move the car until it has to shit into high gear then it just revs up this happend after the lincage from the eccelerator to the transmission came off

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Just before the incedent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes . i have checked the fluid the trans goes into all the other gears fine i have replaced the linkcage and made sure it was working

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The linkcage popped off as i was passing a slow moving car after that it wont go faster the around 45 mph

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 2 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if the throttle cable had come off, then the over drive clutches are going to be burnt and need to be replaced. The throttle cable on this car for this transmission controls the pump pressure. If the cable is left loose, the pump pressure is at its lowest point, and there is not enough pressure to keep the clutches from slipping. I am sorry to say it but you will have to rebuild or replace this unit to get over drive back.

And yes it can happen just that fast.

i pulled over and replaced the linkage imediatly it had slipped off at the intake

It only takes 3 seconds for the od clutch to burn up.

ok thank you

Sorry I had to give you bad news.

what type of trans do i have to get to replace this one

Your car has an AOD transmission. The AODE will not work in your car.

any special tools needed

Not to replace it. You will need a 1/2, 9/16 double boxed in that has the ends offset so you can remove the torque converter nuts. There is not enough room to get a socket on them.

does it make a diffrence if my car has rear independent suspension

No, All tbirds do. that is of course with this body style.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech