Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1997 Ford ranger hose battery keeps shorting out I…

Customer Question
I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 Ford ranger hose battery keeps shorting out I think it is caused by the radio because the speakers always have static could this be the reason for the short?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Not leaking. The battery is good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have recharged the battery but keeps running down. Battery is almost new

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I turn the ignition key on I get a lot of statiic

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The radio is one of the more common causes of the battery drain issues as I have seen in the past before with the radio needing replaced.But to be sure a parasitic drain/draw test needs to be done to pinpoint this as the cause or any other components at fault.This is done with a multi meter that can read the amperage draw.Below is the procedure that needs to be done to see if the radio or any other component needs replaced.

O.k., what needs to be done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery, this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Auto Service Technician