Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

On Thursday my car would not start. Had the battery jumped…

Customer Question
On Thursday my car...

On Thursday my car would not start. Had the battery jumped and then it did start. Before the jump we heard a very high pitched sound under the hood. It made us believe something was on in the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The battery is fine. It’s like the car system will not turn completely off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2013 Ford Edge

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have just been trying to figure out what is staying on. Depending on what it is I may or may not be able to fux it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I turn the car off a message comes up on my Sync screen that says “turning system off to save battery power either start engine or turn off car. But the engine is already off

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The message you see sounds to be a fault with the electronics for the Sync system.This sound you hear can be a relay at fault stuck on causing the battery drain as well as Sync issue.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked first with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model to see what codes are set.Any codes set will help to then diagnose and locate the fault here.I do suspect a stuck on relay under hood causing this issue as this was a common issue on allot of model vehicles.

The other test that can be done is first have a local parts store test the battery and alternator to make sure they are both o.k.They will do this at no charge to you.

Then if found to be o.k. using a multi meter have the testing below done to locate the source of the drain which is also the source of the noise and Sync issue.If you do not have this tool to do this testing then a shop or dealer will need to do this or someone that has this tool.

O.k., what needs to be done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery, this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete