Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1994 Ford F-250 diesel 4x4 5 speed manual shift on…

Customer Question
I have a 1994 Ford...
I have a 1994 Ford F-250 diesel 4x4 5 speed manual shift on the floor transfer case that we can’t get into 2h. We bought a new transfer car and the same thing.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 7 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Hello, my name is***** you able to get the wheels off the ground for some testing?
I could do that
Ok off the ground
Does the shifter move into the correct position or are you saying there is some kind of binding where it won’t move?
The shifter mioves freely, it was worn out, but we replaced it. It goes into 2h position, but the case doesn’t not go into 2h. We gave got it to go into 2h beifly, but pops right out
Will it stay in 2h with the shifter disconnected? Manually moving the lever on the case?
No, I disconnected the shifter and same thing. It will not go the last bit to engage. Looking below at the shifter, you can see an 1/8” gap like it is not all the way. Even disconnected the lever on the transfer case is not fully up in a vertical position
Do you think it might be the auto hubs ?
If the wheels are off the ground, shift into 4x4 and see if the front driveshaft is locking. Then try again in 2wd and See if the driveshaft turns freely.
Does the truck have a suspension or body lift?
One front auto locking hub was stuck in lock position. A shop had greased the hubs and damaged them.
everything is working correctly now?
One front hub was stuck in lock preventing the switch to 2 high. Replaced the hubs with manual locking and all is good.
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 6 months ago
Nice work! Have a great holiday weekend.If your question has been answered satisfactorily, please take a moment to leave a positive rating for our interaction. This allows the website to credit experts for their time. Thank you for using Just Answer.