Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

It's not starting. Battery is good, new starter. 1999 sohc.

Customer Question
It's not starting Mechanic's...

It's not starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery is good, new starter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1999 sohc

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just put the starter in relay is good new starter

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Does it make any sounds at all a single click or series of rapid clicks?

also, noticed the neg side of the battery feels a little warm....i get like 5 or 6 clicks then I lose all electric
then it comes back in like 5 to 10 seconds

Ok

This is a bad connection somewhere or the cable has rubbed off the insulation and it's grounding out someplace. You need to inspect both battery cables really closely and check for swelling or rubbing on the engine. Both of these cables. Make sure the negative cable is clean and tight on the end opposite the battery. This is where you have to start with this.

all cables are connected tight...followed the cables as well as I can & don't see any type of corrosion or wear

I guess I will open this up for the other experts as I know of nothing else that will cause this.

Please don't reply or it will lock it back to me.

Unless the battery is bad, I don't see any other reason for it. If you had it tested and it tested good, I have no other option but to open it back up.

Sorry I wasn't able to help.

Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

new tech here, what voltages are you getting at main starter wire and signal wire when key in the start position?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician