Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a bad smell in my 2016 ford edge only when driving it,

Customer Question
Have a bad smell...

Have a bad smell in my 2016 ford edge only when driving it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to the dealership where i bought it twice no results

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
12/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 9 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

What kind of smell is it? If you had to compare it to something, what does it smell like? Does the engine need to be fully warmed up before you smell it? Can I get the VIN number for the vehicle please? There are a few things I can check into with the VIN number.

Rotten Eggs only smells while driving it and going up hills Vin # 2FMPK3J81GBB91706

We have had many of these complaints here in California with mountain driving. Ford engineering is calling this a normal condition due to the increased load on the engine when driving up hills, the increased fuel flow due to the load causes the catalytic converters to work at their maximum efficiency, with the byproduct being sulfur (rotten egg smell). Ford engineering has offered no repair for this condition and are calling it "a normal operating characteristic" of the vehicle. I have a 2013 Fusion and it does the same thing as well as my 2013 Explorer. Having the TSB for sealing the body performed has not helped. Very frustrating. Have seen quite a few buybacks from Ford for this issue.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.