Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I cut the black ring on the key switch at the column. 2001…

Customer Question
I cut the black...

I cut the black ring on the key switch at the column

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changing out key and the black ring

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can or do I need to reset it or do I have another problem

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 2 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

that's the PATS transponder that you cut.

I think so

ok, well, unfortunately you will need to get a new transponder ring and have the keys reprogramed

If I have changed the transponder and key from another truck same year

ok, and its not starting, correct?

Right

thats because the PATS system is not recognizing the key. it needs to be programmed to the VIN.

A friend tells me I can reprogram comp y unplugging battery touch pos and neg true

not true at all.

information has to be entered into the computer with a ford factory IDS scan tool

I'm a pore man what do I do can I solder the rong

I've never seen that be a success

Just my luck All this for a heater core repair on the wife's dead sons truck she won't part with it so I fix and fix lol just loving it so ill need to go to a ford dealer then
Fyi he had the chip from key taped to transponder and stuffed up in dash

o wow. I'm sorry. I think its only around 75.00 to have the key programmed.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow-up questions you may have. Also, we can respond to this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Sweet that I can do thank you so much that is what I thought was going to happen but sometimes she needs to see it in black and white again thank you very much and happy holidays to you and yours��

thank you. you also!!!

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic