Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 97 7.3 e350 my truck has been running good until…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 97...
Hi I have a 97 7.3 e350 my truck has been running good until the cold weather set in and now when I take off it sort of Boggs down until I get moving then I can feel the turbo kick in and it runs normal until I stop again I replaced fuel and air filters
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
12/15/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this today.

Does the truck currently have the check engine light on?

Not that I see but the dash has been replaced and I'm not sure of the light works I have another 7.3 and it did the same thing and I changed fuel filter and it fixed it will cold weather make a bad injector act worse. It's driving me crazy
It ran perfect till it got cold like below 40 degrees

Yeah if there is a bad injector it will act alot different when cold. Are the glow plug kicking on right away?

Well that's the next thing I got a new relay for the glow plugs which I'm putting on tonight because when it's cold it will blow white smoke for about a min then clears up so I figured the relay is bad

Okay let's start with the relay and see how that improves things. Let me know the results once you get that installed

Ok I just figured that the relay and glow plugs were for just starting the truck

That is there main purpose, to assist in warming the cylinders so that it starts/runs easier when cold. If they aren't firing up quick enough and the truck gets a rough start it will take a few minutes to clear out

Ok I will put it in tonight and get back to you I ussally let it warm up for a good 20 min and I plug in the block heater overnight and which it won't smoke when I start it with it plugged in thanks

Alright as long as your doing that then I doubt it is going to only be a glow plug issue, but get that swapped out anyways and then try to drive it. If the problem persists the the next places I would be checking is the ebp sensor and the fuel pressure regulator. I've seen cold start issues with both before

Ok thanks

You're welcome. Let me know when you're ready to pick back up on this if you still need any help :)

Hi there I'm putting everything back together now I will have a update within the hour thanks

Okay great!

Well the relay didn't change anything it still smokes when I start it

Okay I see. Next place I would check is the EBP sensor and tube for any blockage

Where is that located
Ok thanks I will let you know when I get it on

Okay great

I don't see that sensor in that location

Okay if it is not there then it will be the retrofit style, most likely because it is a van. The tube should be mounted at the back of the left hand exhaust manifold

Ok thanks should I take off tube and clean it out before changing sensor

Yeah that is what I like to try first. Make sure that it is not plugged up at all

Ok

Let me know what ya find

Hi I'm sorry I haven't got back to you i had a funeral yesterday and no time today to get it off but tomorrow I will definitely get off and get back to you

Not a problem at all, take your time and get back to me when you are able. Have a good night :)

Thank you for your patience
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician