Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replacing tow mirrors. Currently only power adjust. Going…

Replacing tow mirrors. Currently...

Replacing tow mirrors. Currently only power adjust. Going with mew style with turn/running light and heat. Questioning as to power for heat. Does it need a switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

New style Ford with turn and running light on mirror

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2003 f 350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am doing myself. Just got mirrors in yesterday. Just looking for advise as to wiring. Current mirrors only have 3 wire clip. New is 5 wire

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know

12/15/2017
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Yes, you'll need a switch for the heat to work. They are not auto heat like the 2008 and up mirrors do. Those will auto heat when you turn the defrost on. You will need to add a switch for the heat function. Maybe a timer style switch that turns off after 30 minutes and a inline fuse. This way you don't burn out the heat elements in the mirrors.

The 2003 didn't have that heated mirror feature. That is why the plug setup is different.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Jeremy
Hello Jeremy
Thanks for the input on the heated mirror question. I am sort of a novice on skill level. I am pretty mechanically inclined and am not afraid to tackle a project. I just have to figure out a power source and routing for the turn and marker lights now. Have a great day and Happy holidays. I would rate as A+Roger Sims

Easy peasy on the turn signal. Use the wires on the right side of the driver, at the flasher box. They will power the turn signal lamps.

Use the marker light power at the light switch.

yellow will be left turn and green will be right turn. White is ground. Brown or black is marker. They use the standard light colors there.

Jeremy
Jeremy