Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car lights are coming on when I turned the key but nothing…

Customer Question
Car lights are coming...

Car lights are coming on when I turned the key but nothing else. No clicking or any kind of noise. I put a new battery in and still nothing. I know it's only 10 degrees out but what could be wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

In park, not sure about feature.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Ford?

Crown Victoria 1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Crown Victoria yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing really, just changed battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
12/14/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So t was tarting before the batter was installed?

No, it is extremely cold and I knew battery was on last leg. It wouldn't even click when I turn the key on. Tried jumping but still nothing. Then went and got new battery, installed it and still nothing.

Ok so have someone try to start it and check the starter signal wire on the starter and also check voltage at main power wire

you think it might be the starter?

I dont know but this will tell us if its a power or starter issue