Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ran my heater for about a week straight. Now it will not…

Customer Question
Ran my heater for...

Ran my heater for about a week straight. Now it will not stop blowing hot air.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

No coolant leak. It’s in the dash. AC pump cycling.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2014 f150 quad cab with the 5.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to. Nothing yet besides feeling the ac lines

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think it’s the flapper that changes the air flow from heat to cool

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
12/13/2017
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

If you get in the truck, and turn the key on, but don't start the engine, in a quiet place, move the air temp setting from cold to hot. do you hear anything clicking kind of behind the radio?

Give me sec

It is most likely the blend door actuator or the blend doro itself. either the actuator strips out, or the weak plastic that the door is made of breaks or strips where the motor fits down into it. No problem, take your time.

No sounds at all Tried defrost feet and vents
Is this a fuse maybe?

It's stuck on HOT setting correct? you can't get any cold air out of it correct?

Correct

Alright, so if you adjust the temp setting from HOT to COLD you hear nothing at all in the dash sounding like it's trying to move?

That’s correct.

Alright, sometimes you can hear them trying to move and sometimes you can't hear anything if the blend door actuator fails, In my opinion it is likely the blend door actuator. Ford had an issue with the blend doors themselves failing a while back, but these are fairly strong and don't break as often. The blend door actuator is an electric motor that sits on top of the blend door and moves it from HOT to COLD and directs airflow either over the heater core or A/C evaporator or both, depending on where you put the temp setting. You have to remove the radio and center fascia and the CD changer but you do not have to pull the entire dash, one screw in the back is a little hard to get to however, the blend door actuator is around 40 or 50 dollars online. I would check the codes in the climate control module just to to double check and see if anything is stored, but most likely your will have to replace the blend door actuator to fix it. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician