Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2004 explorer 4.6 xlt and it has ran great uo until…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2004 explorer 4.6 xlt and it has ran great uo until a few weeks ago. I knew I had a small slow leak from the intake manifold gaskets until I finally lost vacuum one day. I made it to the shoo that I work at and put a new manifold on it. Something went wrong and I still had a low vacuum

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

So i redid the job and now I have a squealing noise from the rear of the engine and i still have a lack of power. I have new plugs and coils as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

First time yes. 4.6 sohc

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/13/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 2 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

with the engine running, remove the oil filler cap and tell me if you feel vacuum. thanks.

I cant do that right now. What would be squealing in the back of the motor. P0171, PO175, PO300, PO305, PO306, PO308, PO316 are the codes it read
I cant do that right now. What would be squealing in the back of the motor? P0171, PO175, PO300, PO305, PO306, PO308, PO316 are the codes it read

could be a timing chain

is it a whine or a squeal?

you have some major issues there my friend with all of those codes.

Squeal i would say and it just doesnt have any power, rough running

are all of those codes still present?

I am not driving the vehicle at the time
The squeal is not constant either. It comes and goes
The squeal is not constant either. It comes and goes. Yes the codes are present but dont worry its not being driven

ok, but im not really worried about the squeal with all of those codes. you need to check for spark on cylinder #3,6 and 8.

Just like i would on a lawn mower correct? And what if there is good spark?

yes, or with a spark tester. just let me know, then we will go from there.

I cant do that right now. I know that is not helpful to eliminating problems but i just dont get it. It was running fine, great as a matter of fact and then boom after the intake was replaced there is just lack of power and that damn annoying squealing noise coming from the rear of the left side engine bank. Brand new plugs and wires.

ok, then when you can do it let me know.then squeal sounds like a pinched gasket, the low power is because of all the codes.

Should I have used any kind of lube on the gasket when installing?

not at all..

but they have a tendency to move when installing the intake

Did you torque everything to spec?

I guess so. I have done it twice now. Yes. 14 in/lbs then 14 ft/lbs in sequence
Could that small of a leak be causing it to run bad?

yes sir. look at all of your codes man....its going to run like crap

you need to spray carb cleaner around the intake and listen for rpm changes

I tried that and didnt get anywhere

not sure on this one since you are more worried about the squeal than the codes.

Ill open it up to the others to chime in, good luck.

Oh the codes do worry me but I am wondering if it is all the same thing
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Different tech here, would you like me to help?

Can you list out what questions you still have that you want to be answered?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Ron, ASE Certified Technician