Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 F150 that will go into 4 low but will not

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 F150 that will go into 4 low but will not engage the 4 high. not sure what to fix

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far. trying to find a starting spot

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes and Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just this problem. thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 7 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

First is to do the simple check and see if there is an issue with the relays, You have 1 for engage and one for disengage. Both relays are the same type, under the hood, and next to each other. They are 2 relays in a small box next to the fuse box on the driver side. Swap them and see if you get the 4 high. If so, then the issue is the relays. If not, then the hard part will come into play to determine if the issue is somewhere else in the system. CLICK HERE and refer to pinpoint test L to determine the cause. It will guide you through all the needed steps for the issue. I warn it isn't simple and it is time consuming, but there isn't a quick go to. You can do a quick check at the transfer case for the motor right after the relays since it is the leading issue after the relays, but if there is loss of voltage at the shift motor, then that only leaves the pinout sheet with steps.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 6 months ago

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?