Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 ford ranger xlt 3,0 engine w/ a 4R44 e

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 ford ranger xlt 3,0 engine w/ a 4R44 e automatic transmission. I also have the 5 R55 s between 2000 and 2000\2 off a 4. 0 what do I need to do other than change bell housing to use in the Ranger

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

What needs changed for me to use a 5r55s transmission in place of my 4r 44e transmission on my 2000 ranger. I already changed out thebell houses

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I only got bellhousing changed and then tore my 4r44 downe down but then read something that the r5 would work but only as 4 speed if pcm isnt hooked up. Every thing plugs up same rather than the speed sensor added to the 5.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No other than what it will take i

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

All the internals are basically the same for both. If it where up to me, I would just swap all the internals out between the two, and use the 4r44e case and valve body. The valve bodies are different as well as the ports in the cases, so with out rewiring the truck and replacing the pcm, you can not make this swap work.

And I almost forgot, the pumps for the two are different. With the 4r44e pump in the 5r55e transmission, lock up will stay engaged and will stall when put in any gear.