Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Reverse lights stop working but fuse and bulbs are good, now…

Customer Question
Reverse lights stop working...

Reverse lights stop working but fuse and bulbs are good, now the brake lights on bottom where normal lights are stop working, but top brake light works, I know I need a instrument cluster but is the light issue apart of the cluster too, also put car on machine and it says I need a computer

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Yes complete winterized was done

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Year: 2003
Make: Ford
Model: Windstar
Drive: 2WD / Automatic Transmission
Engine: 3.6 Liter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not fixed anything but rack & pinion steering, just had van inspected in July so since then back up light stop, as well as brake lights, and when changed bulbs that is when ask auto zone to put on machine to see why lights still not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No think that is it, know I need instrument cluster, for dash board flicking, but back up lights, and brake light stop as well so that is all issues for now

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So both of these are controlled by the pcm and the rem module, the cluster is separate, so you would need to replace the computer to get these back working again

Ron, ASE Certified Technician