Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 2005 Ford Taurus is having a no start / no crank issue.

Customer Question
Hi! My 2005 Ford...

Hi! My 2005 Ford Taurus is having a no start / no crank issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, the headlights will turn on, radio turns on, dashboard lights up

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i'm fixing it myself. i've done a few things in the past. i just tried getting a jump start and it did nothing.same results. i replaced the alternator a week ago and everything was fine. then one day after work the car wouldn't start or crank. i replaced the starter a little less than 2 years ago. maybe 20 months

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also checked the ignition fuses, they seemed good still. i switched the relays around to test them and see if it would start after alternating them, but got the same result so i don't believe it's the relay. also, there is no blinking "THEFT" light

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Not since experiencing this issue. The check engine light was previously on and those codes were as follows P0171 P0174 P0300 P2196 P2198. I believe they were relating to piston misfires and proper airmixture, perhaps O2 sensors both upstream and downstream.

Yes those codes are driveability codes, I looking to see if the system is seeing and B code. If the PCM (computer) cannot read the key, it will not ground the starter relay and that results in a no crank condition. When it will not crank have you checked to see if you have key on cranking power on pins 85 and 87 as well as a ground from the PCM on the pin 86?

Ok, i'll have to see if i can get another reading. Also, when you say it cannot "read they key" are you referring to the actual car key in the ignition? I apologize for the ignorance, I have limited mechanic knowledge. Also, the pins that you mention, are you referring to the "holes" that the starter relay actually plugs into? Again, sorry for the stupid questions.

Yes, your key has a chip in it as part of the PATS system (anti-theft) and the computer has to read the key in order for the PCM (computer) to ground the starter relay.Its common for the key to fail and cause this. I would go back in and check to see if your getting a ground at the starter relay on pin 86 while holding the key in the crank position. If you not then the problem is with the PATS system or the key and or even a transmitter in the ignition. If in fact, that is the case the system will usually set a B code, in order to retrieve any B codes you need access to a full scan tool. A code reader will not retrieve these codes. See the starter circuit wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference. Check the ground at the relay and let me know what you find.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sykiudnzqba4ehv/Blend%20door%20Dec%2012.pdf?dl=0

Ok thanks ron. I'll see what i can try and test and let you know. I think you may have sent me a link to the wrong diagram though. Would you mind double checking for me please?

Yes your right, that one was for another customer. See this one for the starter circuit. Disregard the other link, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw2wglyxsd6iulv/start%20circuit%20Dec%2012.pdf?dl=0

Ron, ASE Certified Technician