Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2000 f450 just bought it checked all the fuses

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 f450 just bought it checked all the fuses they’re good but I have no gauges and no windshield wipers or washer fluid (not sure if they’re related) headlights work o/d works but is flashing and all the lights on the dash work ..trans has trouble shifting assuming it’s not getting any speed readings not sure what to do. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Dashboard lights up and all the fuses are good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F450 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replacing wiper motor unplugged the cluster cleaned the connections but that’s about it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 2 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you.

May I start by getting your VIN please?

Thank you!

1fdxf46f8yee06828

Thank you.

One moment while I pull up your vehicle.

Do the power windows work?

Have you checked all fuses?

Manual windows and yeah checked all the fuses

Thank you for that information. If your sure all fuses are good, this could be a wiring issue (possibly caused battery or central junction box) or maybe a faulty GEM.

If nothing works on the instrument cluster, check voltage on the fuses that power up the cluster. Maybe one of these circuits are missing power? The fuses that power up the cluster are 15, 19 and 29 in the central junction box.

Fuse 11 in the central junction box powers up the fuse for the wiper circuit.

I will check when I get back to the shop

Sounds good. Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I will be sure to rate you I checked all those fuses you said and they have power on both sides

The GEM controls the ground side of the wiper circuit/relays. So if the switch is sending the correct signal, I suspect the GEM is at fault preventing the wipers from working.

The gauges being inop need some further testing. At this point, I cannot say for sure if this is also related to the GEM or not. If the fuses for the instrument cluster check out good, then I would pull the instrument cluster and check the inputs to the cluster with the key on to confirm there is no wiring issue (power supply) problem preventing them from working.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

Hi I’m sorry I haven’t gotten back I’ve been so busy with snow removal .. the gem is located under the driver side panel by the fuse box right? How do I go about checking/removing it?
You can use a voltmeter to check the powers and grounds going in and out of the GEM. I can send a picture/locations later today.
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN