Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Check engine icon on a 2016 f-350 diesel ,def fluid is good…

Customer Question
Check engine icon on...

Check engine icon on a 2016 f-350 diesel ,def fluid is good and oil is good 12,300 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No , i went through the system check on the dash it showed all is good

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Ford Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I, have not I was trying to avoid a trip to the dealer and losing a day of work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No everything seems good truck has had no problems

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
12/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 9 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

hi,

Ok, the check engine light comes on when the powertrain control module(PCM) detects one of over 400 faults in either the engine, transmission, or emissions managements systems, not all of which show noticable symptoms. The ONLY way to which fault code is set is to have the PCM scanned with a diagnostic scanner or code reader.

Unless you live in California, you can run it by any major parts store and they will scan it for fault codes and tell you the fault code number, definition and likely cause for FREE.

Being as yours has only 12K miles on it and is a 2016, it is about a 99% chance that whatever the fault code is and likely cause, it will be covered by warranty.

My professional advice at that point is to make an appointment with your dealer to have them repair it under warranty. Repairing it yourself can result in voiding your vehicle's warranty, especially if your repair doesnt fix it and you take it in and the dealer tech sees that you attempted a repair yourself. They will void the warranty at that point.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.