Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

It is a 2001, with 116,000 miles. When it is cold, it starts…

Customer Question
It is a 2001...

It is a 2001, with 116,000 miles. When it is cold, it starts fine. When Hot and I turn it off for a few minutes, it will start, but won't idle, chugs and vibrates and then dies. Usually after about 20 minutes or so it will start and will idle and I can drive again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The battery is good. It has plenty of crank power.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Ford?

A Ranger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would try to fix it myself if I knew what the problem was. Could it be a regulator on the fuel system?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. just need to know what the problem is.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
12/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Sometimes this problem is the result of a bad idle air control motor on the throttle body. You can usually remove it and clean it up with some carb cleaner to resolve the problem. This is an electric motor right on the throttle held on by a couple of screws. This pintal gets all carboned up and won't move like it should. If you clean it and it resolves the problem, then it's ok to leave it as is.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Would that be a problem only when the engine is hot? It seems like that would affect it even when it is cold.

That really depends on the position the pintal is stuck in. If it's stuck in position for when the engine is cold, then she will fire right up. If it's stuck in a position for when the engine is hot, she won't want to start cold. If it can't make the adjustment it will usually affect one or the other. The nice thing with this is you don't have to run out and buy any parts. If you clean it and it resolves it, you are done.

If not, then we know it's not the problem and go from there.

Not happy with that "solution" since that seems to affect the starting even if the engine is cold.
ok. I will try to fine it, but I think this engine has fuel injection. Is that still possible? Does it have an idle air control motor?
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician