Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1994 f250 7.3 power stroke, when I turn the key I…

Customer Question
I have a 1994...

I have a 1994 f250 7.3 power stroke, when I turn the key I get nothing. no lights no crank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Out of gear clutch depressed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its my daily driver. haven't tried anything yet trying to get a direction before I start tearing things apart.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The other day after starting the volt meter started flickering and then the truck died. after messing with the key the dash indicators turned back on and it started.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
12/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does anything electrical work at all like head lights or any interior lights or radio?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

nothing inside the cab works. the light under the hood comes on. didn't check the headlight but the truck is at home and im at work right now.

O.k.,since no lights come on at all inside the cab and it acts like a dead battery issue when this fault occurs I suspect the issue is a loose or corroded battery cable at the battery or leading from the battery, starter or alternator.This will cause the intermittent issues you see here.This can be intermittent and can be engine or outside temperature dependent on how often it occurs.

The battery and alternator should be tested to make sure they are o.k. just to rule these out.A local parts store will test these at no charge to you if you drive the vehicle down to a parts store.If they are found to be o.k. then the cables and connections need to be checked leading from the battery, starter, and alternator.

This won't be the electronic ignition switch or a relay or another switch at fault since it acts like a dead or weak battery issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Auto Service Technician