Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Ford Escape 3.0 alternator charging 19.7 on vehicle but…

Customer Question
2005 Ford Escape 3.0...

2005 Ford Escape 3.0 alternator charging 19.7 on vehicle but test good at 14.3 on tester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

3 alternators new battery tested all fuses check wiring for melting

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

First alternator quit charging

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

The alternator charge levels are controlled by the engine main computer. Have you had the computer tested to see if it is the cause of the overcharging condition?