Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 ford focus transmission light on and is lurching and…

2012 ford focus transmission...

2012 ford focus transmission light on and is lurching and jerking when accelerating and just a month a go had tcm replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the transmission fluid?

I am pretty sure it is not that

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Taking it to dealership on monday at 7:30

12/10/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, has any work been done besides the TCM? No clutch repairs?

no clutch repairs
no just type

Ok, the chatter/hesistation on accel is due to the clutch. There is an updated clutch and new input shaft seals if they have never been replaced. Ford has had many issues with these clutches and the TCM. They will replace the clutch and seals, reprogram and calibrate the new clutch. This will all be under warranty. They extended the warranty coverage to 10 years and 150K miles.

thank you this put my mind at ease another question I have read on line that a this happens a lot in the lifetime of the car

Yes, they keep re engineering the clutch to handle this issue, it wont be a permanent fix, but it will get better over time. It wont hurt the transmission but it is something you will have to deal with over time.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

the fix won't be permnant I will have have to go in another time say a month down the road

No, it depends on your driving habits. It can be good for several months at a time or more. As the clutch gets hot and wears they chatter. Its a design flaw from Ford. Thats why they offered a buy back on vehicles as well.

what do you mean a buy back on vechicles

A lemon law type of buy back, at one point ford offered to buy the car back from ford focus and fiesta owners if they went into another ford vehicle. Thats something you can ask the dealer you will see on monday if you think you want to not deal with this on going issue and get into a different vehicle.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!