Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Exhaust/Gas fumes in the cabin of my 2007 F150 as many folks…

Customer Question
Exhaust/Gas fumes in the...

Exhaust/Gas fumes in the cabin of my 2007 F150 as many folks have described after having the plugs changed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts fine. Sill has an occasional shudder at 40Mph, getting an average of 14Mpg

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, Nothing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Plugs were re-torqued. Not sure what ft lbs

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
12/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

I have never torqued spark plugs.

You may have 2 problems, raw gas burning or a too rich fuel mixture and/or an exhaust leak.

To check for an exhaust leak while the engine is idling, put your foot over the tailpipe and shut off all the exhaust as best you can then listen for an exhaust leak, then if you hear one have someone else put their foot over the tailpipe while you crawl under the truck listening for where the leak is coming from and feeling with your hand for any hot air blowing on your hand.

Check your fuel pressure, make sure it isn't too high. Check for gas leaks even before any of this.

retrieve any engine trouble codes.

I had an exhaust guy put it on a rack an check it with a stethoscope for leaks and found no obvious links.
The issue started immediately after having the the truck tuned up which included having the plugs and fuel filter changed.
This exact scenario seems to have occurred for many folks who were willing to post. They all say their local Ford dealer didn't know how to fix it, nor did they say that they found any resolution. Have you heard of this before? Is it that tricky to seat the spark plugs?

Is this the triton engine cause you never did say.

It's a 207 F150 with a 5.4L. I believe it is a Triton
2007

Yes, they have had problems with inserts I believe coming loose from where the spark plugs go in. I think they come loose if the engine isn't completely cooled down before trying to remove spark plugs.

They sell a special tool to remove them inserts cause if I remember correctly they will just spin when they come loose and won't tighten backup and even come out.

What is the 8th digit of your vin, cause there are 2 different 5.4's for this year, a vin 5 or V.

The eight character looks like an S. the 12th character is a 5. there are no Vs.
Three of the plugs broke getting them out and they had to use a special tool to remover the broken plugs.
What is an insert? Is that something that is pressed into head that the spark plug is then threaded into it?

It must be an 5 then. Let me see if I can find that tool, hold on.

Sorry,
I looked at the wrong document. The 8th character is a V

Yes, that is what an insert is and I thought this engine had them. 1 second

Ok, V

This is the SPARK PLUG REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS . I thought this had inserts, maybe I was wrong and that was something else but I do remember this tool but you said the spark plugs did break and I assume they got all of them replaced.

Maybe it was these LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum inserts, that I remember.

they were all replaced. They said they used a special tool from Ford to remove the broken ones.
Are you saying this engine doesn't have inserts?

If those threads are stripped and inserts didn't help, you may have to end up replacing the head.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

It might, if any of the threads were stripped.

Would they be honest and tell you if they installed any inserts?

If you suspect some, and you don't trust them to tell you the truth and/or it isn't on the work order and you are having a problem with spark plugs staying tight, etc then maybe you should remove them all nd check to see if there are any inserts installed. If so, think about replacing the head. If it was Ford who ruined them, they should pay.

Please confirm that this engine has inserts?
The manager of the shop is my neighbor and a good guy so I do trust them.
I took it back to him after the smell started and rechecked to make sure all the plugs were torqued down properly.
There was no mention of inserts being an issue or replacement of inserts. I fairly confident they did not replace any inserts.
Are you saying that it is possible that the removal of a plug could have loosened an insert and cause it to leak?

No, I was saying if a spark plug thread got stripped, someone might have installed an insert to fix it. I am not saying that they already had them.

OK, So an insert is only used to repair a stripped plug thread. if they were able to tighten all the plugs without using an insert then you you say they would most likely not be leaking?

Yes!

Any other thoughts as to where the smell would be coming from then? Could it be related to the changing of the fuel filter?

It could be. It is difficult or impossible for me to tell, cause of course I cannot smell it.

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Are there any more questions I can help you with or are we done here?