Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Matt, I have a mk6 ford transit 135 t350 that keeps cutting…

Customer Question
Hi Matt, I have...

Hi Matt, I have a mk6 ford transit 135 t350 that keeps cutting out at 60 miles an hour.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F350?

Sorry I set that to soon, my transit is 06 and when I plug in the Delphi diagnostics it comes back with code P0251. Fuel metering valve. I just put a brand new one in and it did the same, cutting out under load. Glow plug light starts flashing. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

It Blinks fast and continues until I turn ignition off and on again while driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its not an F350. Its a Ford Transit and yes I am fixing myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes it goes in to limp mode going up hills or if the wind blows hard against me.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd suggest the next step is to consider fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

you can also do a reasonable run-back test yourself by disconnecting the electrical plug on the injectors and the downstream pipe of the leak off, crank the engine over and if you see a noticable difference if the flow in the leak off then that the likely problem injector.