Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Taurus, Dual Climate Control. The driver's side only…

Customer Question
2008 Taurus, Dual Climate...

2008 Taurus, Dual Climate Control. The driver's side only blows cold air. Also, nothing du

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

2008 Taurus, Dual Climate Control. The driver's side only blows cold air. Also, nothing comes out of defrost vents. I have replaced an actuator on the passenger side, right behind the glovebox, as well as an actuator on the driver's side. The passengers side was broken, I replaced it, not knowing what it fixed. The driver's side is in tact. I'm thinking I removed the wrong one on the driver's side.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am. I just got bewildered wondering where the other actuator is on the driver's side. I can't see it. I also need to replace a different one on the passenger side. That one looks tough to get out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. I don't think so. I would like a diagram or illustration showing the locations.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 7 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

is this the one you replaced???

Roy

What are you referring to? I don't see a picture of anything.

let me check, I loaded a picture.

ok, do you have a voltmeter to do some checks??

also, when you command heat and cold, do you feel or hear the motor working??

also, plug in the old motor and see if it moves. trying to eliminate the door being seized

Roy

I have one. I do hear clicking, on the passenger side. Plug in the old one? So remove the new one I just installed?

no, not the passenger side, the driver's side.

no, remove the connector and just hook it to the old one externally and see if it moves

Roy

the gear that protrudes from the actuator turns.

ok, and that is on the old one??

if it is, then you either have a bad new actuator or a seized door. there may be something blocking the door from moving.

remove the new one and see if you can turn the door by hand and see if you get heat

Roy

Ok. Where is the door?

inside the case. you are going to remove the new actuator and try moving by hand from the outside

Roy

Inside the actuator case? I am unable to move the gear by hand, but when I open up the actuator, I can move the gears individually. Both on the old and the new. And yes, there's a noise coming from the driver's side.

no, you are not understanding.

remove the actuator, then go to the case where the actuator attaches, the actuator turns a shaft inside the case. you want to try and turn the shaft at the case not the actuator.

Roy

ok let me know when you can get to it and test it

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

I was unable to locate the door you are talking about. So I guess this goes unresolved? I wil try to dismantle the entire instrument panel tomorrow. Where is the door in proximity to the actuator? Is it left (toward the front bumper), is it right (toward the interior center console), is above (toward the top of the car), or is below (toward the street). Is it in front of (toward the driver's side leg area), or is it behind (the passenger leg area)? Any other input or suggestions you can provide?

ok

you told me you replaced the blend door motor so you should know the location. it is in the picture I sent you

no need to remove dash or anything at this point.

you need to be at the area the actuator mounts to the case. thats where you can turn the door by hand without disassembling anything. if you cannot get to it by hand, use a screw driver to turn the door.

Roy

Are you talking about hole that the actuator gear fits into?

yes

Ok, I was looking for a door or something that the movement of the actuator opened. Hang on. I'll need to go check.

ok

Well, that worked. Because now both sides put out heat and only one code 10_03 comes up on the diagnostic test. Now I have an extra actuator. I'm going to try to change the RH blend door.

ok, why are you going to change the right side???

Roy

Because of the clicking. And my defrost mode doesn't come through defrost vents.

ok

did not see that posted

good news is you have heat

Roy

do not understand why you have not rated me. I have given you all the info you wanted and you were able to get heat.

Roy

Family member passed. The heat is intermittent. Sometimes it's stuck on cold, sometimes it's stuck on hot, sometimes it works the way it's supposed to. The defrost still doesn't work, and the passenger side blend door still has a clicking sound. I know you had mentioned something about the door seizing, I'd like to look into that more. Thank you for your patience I really appreciate it.