Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1994 e250 4.9lL engine e4od tranny. van sat three…

Customer Question
I have a 1994...

I have a 1994 e250 4.9lL engine e4od tranny. van sat three years , replaced engine, drove van about 10,000 miles , tranny started not wanting to down shift from over drive, changed filter and oil no change, now not wanting to start off in low gear, also tries to shift to higher gear to low of speed, and the over drive lock out doesn't respond ,lite comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?

Lite comes on steady, code is for egr circuit low

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't doe anything yet, if able to will try to fix it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The miles since engie installed mostly high way 55mies per hour hauling 1500 lbs, haven't pulled trailr yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 4 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

was there any debris in the pan when you changed the fluid and filter??

this transmission has many issues and was a real problem for ford. it had a high failure rate and was unreliable. they upgraded the unit late in the 90's/

most of the issues are internal such as clutch packs seizing and pistons failing.

Roy

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest