Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2017 f150, and have added, some external led lights…

Customer Question
I have a 2017...

I have a 2017 f150, and have added, some external led lights for the running board and one just below the tailgate currently I have wired them in using the 7 pin trailer connector, however the truck thinks I have a trailer attached so it is disabling my rear sensors. and since my tale lights are led I don't think I can tap into them. what would be the best way to attach the non oem lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I have some recon light bars, it has a connection break left and right turn backup and running lightd

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your LTD?

2017 f150 lariat trim

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LTD yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am dong this myself and adding these lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No this is a Ford truck not LTD

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/8/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

​So as long as anything is tied in at the trailer plug the truck is going to think there is a trailer attached. It will actually be easier to tie them into the tail light circuit, since the lights you are installing are LED they will function properly with the signal that runs to the tail light, and since the truck already has LED lights it will not interfere with the factory output.

​Let me know if you have anymore questions about it :)

do you know the pinout of the connector, since I have the lariat package there are multiple wires and my truck as the radar locater for blind spot when I watched a video for the install my light are not separate it is one unit the connector looks like attached
also do you know what color the wire is for inside dome light I have a crew cab with a moon roof

In the pinout you will want to find Violet/orange wire. That is what controls the stop turn signal. If you just wish to have it ran to power white/brown fused circuit

Let me chack and see if I can find the dome light diagram

also what color are the wires for the reverse, running, break lights

I am not able to find the 2017 diagram, only the 2016 is showing up. I will open this back up for a new expert to help get that information for you

Ford Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years.

Do you still require assistance to install your lights?

I am trying to connect some 3rd party led lights to my 2017 f150 truck I have the wiring diagrams however I can not find where I hook up the stop lamp. I have tapped into the wiring harness by the tail light I will attach a photo of the connector since my lights also have blind spot sensor on the lights.
I found that if I attach to the trailer port the truck thinks I have a trailer attached and disables my sensors which I am trying to avoid.
do think it would be better to tap into the BCM? if so what pins and wire colors am I looking for?
I am also looking for the wire that gets energized when the doors open. color and location.
I also have purchased some extra relays if you think it would be better to power the light bars through them.
Ford Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago
Ok. I am currently at work and I will have time tonight to take a better look at the wiring diagrams and hopefully we can find a solution to wiring the new lights.