Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Windstar 3.8 I may have two on unrelated

Customer Question
Hey Ron I have a...
Hey Ron I have a 2000 Windstar 3.8 I may have two on unrelated problems that’s why am asking it would chug on acceleration just a little then that got worse over time, then The engine started shaking then started shaking really bad. now I can hardly accelerate because of the chugging, also it’s backfiring in intake and surging. all plugs are firing I took it to the shop that was confirmed. he said it was inside the motor probably balancing shaft however the vibration went away for a while but the other symptoms remain then the vibration which shakes the whole van idling and accelerating got worse again for a week but at the moment shaking has subsided ( today ) which leads me to believe it’s not the balancer shaft I could really use some help is it time to junk it? it’s a nice van otherwise
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
Things I have done change the coil change all the items on top of the engine since I have two other ones change plugs change wires
12/8/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 9 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing great.

​Does the van have a check engine light currently on with any camshaft/crankshaft/timing codes?

It had a P1 74 was all started but it has not had that since the last 250 miles

H​ave the intake manifold gaskets been replaced? If it had a bad enough leak it can cause the symptoms you have described.

​If it were a crankshaft balancer issue it would be throwing misfire/timing codes

It does not have a vacuum leak I did a smoke test and I’m replaced the grommets

Okay good to know. Have you possibly tried swapping out the mass air flow sensor?

I was told it was the balancer shaft not a crankshaft balancer
Possibly
Mass airflow sensor changed out

Okay after reading that I noticed it was the shaft. That is a pretty common issue on these motors. The best way to inspect it is pulling the lower intake and looking down into the valley to see if it has slipped/broke. It is a pretty time consuming job, but since the coils, maf, and intake have been ruled out then the shaft would be one of my next inspection points

that would cause it to backfire and surge and buck
I was made to believe I would be talking to Ron who has much more experience than you know offense I would request to talk to him but I’m sure he’s probably in bed by now which I’m getting Ray to do myself so can I get back with you tomorrow and talk to Ron

Y​eah if the shaft slips or breaks it causes the engine to lose it's balance and center of gravity, so the weight pushes in the wrong proportion and can cause misfire/surge like symptoms

No problem, the question was waiting and I thought I would help. I will opt out and you can get in touch with Ron :)

Thank you so much for your help I just feel that if the shaft is bad why would it get better at times
I am getting back to you today to talk to Ron The Ford technician who my thought I was going to get yesterday is he around
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 9 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

It seems Ron does not want to help on this concern. Would you like me to try and help?

Chris I would be happy to work with you on this matter I just wanted Ron because of his 25,000 satisfied customers but if he doesn’t want me so be it. contact me as soon as you can thank you

Ron and I are buddies on here and I am smoking him at 46,668 satisfied customers LOL.

Let's start from the top.

Hey Ron I have a 2000 Windstar 3.8 I may have two on unrelated problems that’s why am asking it would chug on acceleration just a little then that got worse over time, then The engine started shaking then started shaking really bad. now I can hardly accelerate because of the chugging, also it’s backfiring in intake and surging. all plugs are firing I took it to the shop that was confirmed. he said it was inside the motor probably balancing shaft however the vibration went away for a while but the other symptoms remain then the vibration which shakes the whole van idling and accelerating got worse again for a week but at the moment shaking has subsided ( today ) which leads me to believe it’s not the balancer shaft I could really use some help is it time to junk it? it’s a nice van otherwise. Things I have done change the coil change all the items on top of the engine since I have two other ones change plugs change wires

1. Is this a constant vibration when it happens or does it jerk sporadically like the hiccups?
  2. Any warning lights on or flashing?
  3. Has a compression test beed ran?
  4. What test was done to confirm al plugs are firing all the time?
No compression test yet yes it does vibrate all the time when it is vibrating it’s not a hit or miss thing one thing that’s weird when it’s cold in the morning runs fine for half a mile or so then gradually starts vibrating and running badAll plugs are firing all the time

At home idling and vibrating. If you remove plug wires one by one. Is there one that is removed that makes it run no worse?

I have done that and they are all firing As was confirmed by the shop

I am not trying to see if one is not firing. I am trying to see which cylinder is not providing 100%.

I feel that we could get this taken care of to my satisfaction if I could only talk to you for five minutes. without paying more. my number is(###) ###-####or I can call you I normally don’t answer if I do not recognize the phone number so if you would leave me a short message and call me right back I will pick up

If I call you without doing so through the website. I lose my job. I have been here 11 years and have no plans to get fired for breaking the rules. I can still continue to help here though. This post timed out on the 14th from no rating and I almost was not even able to see that you had replied. I can only see the list of the last 100 people I have helped and you were 3rd from the bottom.

I have no desire for you to take any chances with your job I just thought that would work out better that way the shaking with the engine is violent more so than just one cylinder not working I have not driven it much lately but the last few times I have the shaking has stopped but is still chugging under acceleration the shaking started about a month ago it got better for a few days and then got worse again and now it’s better for a few days I hope it stays that way but I know it probably won’t. It i’ll make a deal with you if you answer this yes or no question I’ll be A satisfied customer. with no progress being made on the WinStar I had to buy something else a O5 Freestar. three days after I bought it the brake pedal went to the floor no leaks full reservoir changed the master cylinder out same problem booster checks out question is can the ABS module cause the brake pedal to go to the floor running or not. I appreciate your effort on the Windstar

The brake booster will not cause a brake pedal to go to far down.