Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I️. 2004 F-150 gear shift. It will go in gear drive…

Customer Question
2004 F-150 gear shift...

2004 F-150 gear shift. It will go in gear drive well etc.. but when put into park the release button on the shift stick will not release and the key subsequently won’t come out

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

No codes and lights are good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Watched a video that said there was a pin on bottom of sifter that sometimes came out and needed to push in. Tried that and mine has no pin and is very different then the one in video which is supposedly same year. Also tried wd 40 in ignition to see if debris was keeping it from turning all of the way but no dice. Then read where there is a bracket that holds the shifting cable under dash that gets lose and needs to be tightened but cannot find anything like though I️ found the shifter cable

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I️ would say that’s about it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 7 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Hi. Generally the concern you have is caused by a micro switch that is part of the gear shift lever. That switch does jot detect that you are in park anymore. Switch is not serviced separately. You need to replace the gearshift lever assembly.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** possible that the ignition switch is not turning all of the way? Some friends have told me that is the problem and am curious about your opinion
I️ would not mind a call but paid 28.00 to ask a question then signed up for 38 a month for follow up questions and they are saying the call is 26.00

Sorry about the call ad. That is from the website. The ignition switch is not turning because the vehicle is not thinking it is in park. The ignition switch is not the issue.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

Did you resolve your issue? Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.