Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Crown Vic. The temperature gauge is reading…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2005 Crown Vic. The temperature gauge is reading very low. When I try off the car, the gauge rises up more toward the center. Sometimes, it is working normally ie. in the center. All other gauges are working on the instrument cluster.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

105,000 miles. Coolant level is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Ford?

It was marked interceptor but when the transmission was fixed, the shop told me that an interceptor part did not fit so it might not be

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Interceptor yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the coolant level. I had someone look at it and he said the instrument cluster needed to be changed which is expensive. So I hope there is another answer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that is it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 4 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
The most common cause for low temp reading is a poorly working thermostat. Has the thermostat been checked?
The mechanic said the thermostat was working.
Anything else it could be instead of replacing the entire instrument panel?
It could be the cylinder head temperature sensor but that usually fails and reads that the engine is hot. I would keep looking into a thermostat issue. And if he is unsure just replace it as it is right on the top of the engine and only takes a few minutes.
Do you think it is likely unnecessary to replace the instrument cluster?
How much does it typically cost to replace the thermostat?
Without hands on testing I feel it would not be the correct thing to replace yet. Usually gauges do not stop working. The mechanic can manually ground the cht sensor wiring and verify that the gauge will go all the way to hot.
The cluster alone is almost $700. Do you know a rough estimate for the thermostat repair?
any estimate?
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician