Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus and my check engine light is on, I…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Ford...
I have a 2005 Ford Taurus and my check engine light is on, I pull out the codes and it's P0171 and P0174, which is lean codes on both banks, need some help on where to start checking on this car, I checked the vaccum lines seems fine, the car has less than 81k on it. Thanks
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

There are two common places for this engine to leak vacuum and cause the leans code P0171 and P0174 to set. The most common place is the PCV hose elbow right below the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. It a bit hard to access but take a look at it, the elbows are common to rot out and leak. The other common source if the PCV checks okay is usually the intake plenum gaskets which can shrink over time and also cause a small leak. Check the PCV elbow first and post back if you have more questions and or need more help.

Ok I'll check it out tomorrow thanks.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Hi Ron I did a smoke test and it is leaking on the back of the manifold, there is like a round thing there with bolt and a harness, looks like a sensor to me, it is on the passenger side. Thanks

That would surely cause the codes to set. Can you post a picture so I can see the part leaking so I can identify it.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician