Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 1998 Ranger with 3.0 V6. Started idling fast around…

Customer Question
Have a 1998 Ranger...

Have a 1998 Ranger with 3.0 V6. Started idling fast around 3000 rpm. Thought it might be the IAC valve. Had a used one laying around and that cured it for about a week then same thing. Put a new one on it and it cured for about a week also then started up again. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

The truck has about 177k but the engine only has about 90k. It is a 3.0 V6. It is not a flex fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the IAC valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you able to read the data stream on a scan tool?

I do have a cheap scan tool. I'm not with the truck right now. I do remember the engine coolant temp sensor coming up on the scan. I could see it idling a little fast if it thinks the engine is still cold but not 3000 rpm. There may have been other codes as well.

Okay if you are able to read the ECY then you should be able to read the data stream and what your going to want to look at is the throttle position sensor voltage at closed throttle. If its to high it can cause a high idle. The normal voltage on a good TP should be right at 0.9-1.0 volts at closed throttle. Have a look at the complete steps to check this in the link below. Runn through these and see if the TP sensor is the cause of the high idle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gptq45wo2i2ekis/Idle%20speed%20Dec%207.pdf?dl=0

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.