Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F250 v10 starts dies and won't start again. Runs fine.

Customer Question
F250 v10 starts dies...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Replaced them last year and that seemed to help until it got cold ( it's not super cold )

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F250?

1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put gas directly in the air intake and it started and died.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This problem is intermittent and usually happens after the rig has been driven

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
12/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

If you spray starting fluid into the air intake though it will crank up and run for a couple of seconds? if you keep spraying it can you make it run then? Also, if you turn the key to the ON position, does the anti theft light stay blinking or does it go out? thank you.

I don't have an anti theft blinker.

Alright, you might not on that 99, Can we check fuel pressure? if you spray it and it runs, I'm thinking either it doesn't have fuel pressure or injector pulse. Is the fuel pump original in the tank?

I don't have a way to check the fuel pressure and I bought this rig used a few years ago and I don't know about the fuel pump
Alright, if you can spray it and make it run, I would check the inertia switch, push the red button down over in the passenger kick panel area on the left floorboard, Do you have a test light or voltmeter we could check for power there when cranking?
Right floorboard I mean..passenger side kick panel make sure the inertia switch is pushed down.
The inertial switch is not tripped. I have been able to get the rig started and running. This problem is intermittent and Willy Neely
I follow you, if it's intermittent, it still could be the fuel pump, or the fuel pump relay, it's about got to be fuel delivery related because spark rarely comes and goes on these. You can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from local auto parts store, and when it acts up see if you have 40 psi of fuel pressure or not at the fuel rail. If you dont, I would check power at the inertia switch and if you have power there and no fuel pressure I would put a new fuel pump in it.
Thanks I will give it a try
Let me know if you have any further questions. Putting a fuel pressure gauge on it when it acts up is the first step for sure. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

If your all set please don't forge to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you!