Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have what looks like a Torque converter problem on my Taurus…

Customer Question
Have what looks like...

Have what looks like a Torque converter problem on my Taurus SES 2001.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

I have nothing at present except a feeling that its the TC

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

When driving along the speedo stops functioning then the gears do not change up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I really just need to know if that is what is the problem...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
12/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Thanks

Your transmission and speedometer share the same signal from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and if it fails it will cause the speedometer as well as affect the transmission shift points. Usually when the VSS and or the circuit to it fails the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. Have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

No....I am at home...I live in the Middle East.
Far from agency
Id appreciate any online link to a description of the faults that relate to the failure of the Converter
PS: If I disconnect the battery then start up again all works well for a while....then it fails again
n

A bad torque converter will not affect the speedometer. If the speedometer is failing as well as the transmission then it very likely a speed sensor issue.

OK Ron....is there a link you can direct me to so that I may read more detail about that?and a link to TC faults?

I can send you a link to fault codes but I need to know what fault code your getting. Can you scan the system and get me the fault code?

I will have to get the car to an agency for a scan....I don't have any equipt
Thanks anyway for your guidance.........

Okay if you can get this done and post back with the results I can advise you from there.

Thanks anyway. Appreciate your time and help:)
Bye

Your very welcome.