Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Transmission seems to be stuck in neutra. Transmission will…

Transmission seems to be...

Transmission seems to be stuck in neutra

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Transmission will not engage

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Transmission will not engage

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Don't know. Tried changing fuses, disconnecting battery, checked fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Did it suddenly. Drove it one day, next day it won't engage

12/6/2017
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

good morning

make sure the cable to the transmission is working and is not broken.

a clogged filter in the trans would cause this.

beyond that, either a failed front pump or a torque converter is the issue. both are internal and would require removal of the trans and inspection.

not electronic. it would set trans codes but more than that, it would still engage in gear. this is a mechanical issue.

Roy

2003 taurus transmission will not engage

very common for this transmission. most likely the torque converter has failed.

I would start by changing the fluid and filter and checking for any metal or debris in the bottom of the pan.

Roy

Linkage is operating fine. Fluid level is high when not runnig, and drops when running. Removed pressure plug from top, started motor & it pumped fluid out of opening

needs a certain pressure to operate just like a fuel pump.

I would start by dropping the pan.

Roy

Thanks Roy

your welcome

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

thank you

Would a clogged filter cause it to act up all at once? One day it was working fine & the next morning it would not engage.

yes it would, I had an 2004 windstar and had this happen. it was the filter. however the torque converter did fail about 1000 miles later. it was the debris from the converter that clogged the filter.

Roy

How do I know which transmission I have? I want to make sure I get the right filter.

look on the bottom of the trans pan. it will say AXODE or AX4NS

Roy

Thanks Roy

your welcome