Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 98 mustang 3.8ltr. Ive replaced thermostat,radiator…

Customer Question
I have a 98 mustang...
I have a 98 mustang 3.8ltr. Ive replaced thermostat,radiator cap,heater core and ive flushed all hoses and engine/radiator. All vents work and I can hear the blend door close when I switch from hot to cold but still don't have heat. Also I've bleed and filled the f#%k out of the system
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 7 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, are both heater hoses hot/same temperature? Does the engine get to normal operating temperature on the temp gauge? If you manually move the blend door do you have heat? When you replaced the heater core did the blend door look like it was in one piece and not broken?

The blend door looked good and the engine temp is normal. The heater hoses are NOT getting hot but when I flushed them they didn't seem clogged

But you have replaced the heater core? Do you have good flow to the heater core if you remove the hose and run the engine? The engine reaches normal operating temperature? The cooling fan comes on when the thermostat opens, engine is fully hot?

I haven't ran the car with the hoses off but the engine warms up fine and the fan works normal
Also pressure check the system and all is good

Ok if both hoses arent getting hot but its a new heater core, then there is a cooling system flow issue to the heater core. Disconnect the heater hoses and hook up a flush tee and run the engine and verify you have good cooling system flow to the heater core, otherwise there is a restriction in the system , a worn water pump impeller. If the engine is getting full normal hot, then both hoses to the heater core should be hot with a new heater core installed.

on the heater core

You have to trace the loss of coolant flow to the heater core.

If it is a weak water pump wouldn't it get hot or over heat

Yes it should while driving.

If its got good flow to the heater, then its an a ir pocket in the system. If your rev the engine up and get improved heater flow then lose it back at an idle, its air bound.

Back in august we had 100+ weeks and it never got past the middle of the temp gauge

Thats what you need to check is the amount of coolant flow to the heater core if the new core doesnt have the same temp going in and coming out.

Before I changed the heater core if I let it idle 30+mins it would blow warm until I started driving. I did the heater core Saturday and did get any heat but this morning is was blowing probably 90 and the at lunch and drive home it was like A/C

Sounds like it is airbound possibly. As I mentioned if you sit in park and run the engine at 2000 rpms for a few minutes with the heater on full heat and full fan, if its airbound, it will start blowing hotter as the system burps and moves air through the system. Then when you idle down it will blow cooler. You can try and burp the system or use a tool like one called an Airlift. You have to drain the radiator then use a compressor to hook up shop air to a tool that pulls the cooling system into a vacuum. If it has no leaks, it will hold a steady vacuum. You then use the vacuum to refill the cooling system and you should have normal heater operation.

They make other cooling system bleeders. Here is an example of the Airlift

https://www.tooltopia.com/uview-550000.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o3&scid=scplpUV+550000&sc_intid=UV+550000&gclid=CjwKCAiApJnRBRBlEiwAPTgmxNKSLMsTRZOs9fnHqBwhnq_Jtu50dlr6RrA70n2_vc91aMsqGfnzdRoCb1gQAvD_BwE

The water pump was replaced before I got the car is it possible that they will interchange from vehicle to vehicle but propellers are different directions?
I work at a Chevy dealer so ive got the machine your talking about

Not if its the right pump. You havent used the airlift on this system but you have one?

Ive done manual and with the machine made by wynns

Im not familiar with the wynns machine, but if it works like the Airlift and it holds vacuum but wont blow hot air, then there is a restriction in the system and you have to check coolant flow to the core and through the core as I mentioned.

The guy I got the car from did an under drive pully would that weak the rotation of the water pump
To the point of no heat

Its a smaller pulley system but should still have circulation.

If it got good flow to the core what should I look to next

Good flow in, bad flow out, plugged up core. Some calcium or debris from the cooling system can block the new core as it breaks off and flows through the system.

I ran a water hose and air through the metal line between the core and the motor disconnected of course and it seemed fine

Have to disconnect the two hoses to the heater core. Make sure you have solid flow going to it with th engine running and then hook it to the heater core and make sure it flows out of the core.

If weak its the water pump and if not its still got air or it in the HVAC box?

Sean Im repeating myself at this point. CHeck flow to the core, through the core amount of flow should be solid or there is a restriction in the cooling system, have to trace the flow.