Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Taurus that has just turned 40 mm actual

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Taurus that has just turned 40 mm actual miles. The engine does not have a sound it runs like a dream but my oil light is flickering. 9 Canik wants to pull the oil pan check the bearings and the oil pump. Is there something we can check before we get that in death?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I just read my question and a few things were not clear com my car has 42000 miles and it is my oil light is flickering but only at a stoplight

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

No sir I'm not fixing it myself come I work at Ford I know how to put them together to begin with after that I'm a little lost

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that my oil is at the right level and perfectly clean the car engine has no sounds and drives like a dream and who I bought it from it had set for 8 months

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Most definitely have the oil pressure checked with a mechanical gauge to at least verify if the pressure sending unit is working properly. It could just be a sender or wiring concern. I have even seen low idle speed cause the light to flicker.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

They have check the oil pressure and when it's hot it runs at 9 lb. Is there something else that the we can test before he drops the oil pan and starts digging in deeper?

No, at 9 psi he is on the right track. Has to be a pressure bleed from a bearing or failing oil pump, that's about all that can cause pressure to drop that low.

Do you think that we both are on track with the oil pump because the car has no sounds in the engine has no less driving performance. What do you think the odds are of it being the bearings?

It could have enough bearing wear to bleed pressure without making noise. Pretty easy to check since the pan would need to come off for the pump anyways.

With 42,000 actual miles how likely is it the bearings?

By mileage its unlikely. Unless there are lots of short trips.

Did you need any further assistance? The question is showing "waiting for customer response"

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech