Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It will not start. When I turn the key the starter cranks…

It will not start...

It will not start. When I turn the key the starter cranks but the engine doesnt turn over. I just tried using starter fluid but when my friend was looking at the carb he said it isnt opening

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yup nope

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1971 F250 XLT, 360 2 barrel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was running fine until today. However, it got very cold today and yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I basically need to know if the cold affects the carb and how to compensate for that

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so you mean the engine turns over but it wont fire up and run when cold? It ran ok until you shut it off now when cold it just spins over but wont fire up and run?

No, the starter cranks but the engine doesnt turn over. This morning when I went to start it I did the normal pressing on the gas then release then turn the key and it started right up, but then died a few seconds later. Since then I haven'e been able to get it to start. I tried starter fluid, but it didnt seem to work. And then just now, my buddy watched the carb and went to put in the starter fluid but said that the carb wasnt opening.

Ok, it sonds like you are saying the starter motor isnt turning the flywheel and turning the engine over. But I think you are saying the engine cranks over with the starter motor when you turn the key but the engine doesnt fire up and run. If its cold, the choke should be closed. If there is a carburetor issue with the choke you can hold the choke open and crank it over and it should run. The carburetor choke may need to be replaced if it is an electric choke or adjusted by a shop that is familiar with adjusting the choke properly

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

34;But I think you are saying the engine cranks over with the starter motor when you turn the key but the engine doesnt fire up and run."That makes sense. I have been working on it for the past year and a half. It has run fine through this week up until two days ago when it got really cold. It isn't electric, it is a 1971 and is OLD. I rebuilt the carb last summer. Like I said, it just won't start with the cold. So...how easy is it to adjust the choke?

It depends on the type of carburetor if its not an electrical choke its mechanical.This truck is pretty old for me to pull up that specific procedure, but if you have a tag number and carburetor manufacturer it can be looked up by cross referencing the information for that carb.

Autolite D12FAKA

Ok give me a few minutes, is this a 2 or 4 barrel carb or is it a 1 barrel?

2 Barrel

Ok that helps, give me a little bit to research this It should be mechanical linkage that needs to be adjusted that will move closed when you pump the throttle

http://www.carburetor-blog.com/manuals/autolite_ford_service_manual.pdf

Ok take a look through this manual it covers most all models. Page 52 goes into a manual choke adjustment. most are electric chokes. It looks like you may have the 2100 2 barrel autolite model.

I do have that carb! I will read through this (WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?) and let you know how things go. I am not a mechanic, but, should the choke plate be open or closed when starting the engine? Maybe I headed down the wrong path when I thought it should be OPEN to allow more air. But it looks like it should be closed to allow for more fuel mixture. (Of course, my lingo is all incorrect....but maybe this gives you an idea of where I am coming from.)

When cold, you stroke the throttle and the choke plate should be closed. As the engine warms up it opens to allow more outside air. I had to do some searching but found it for ya.

Repair sections are scattered throughout the manual so read through the whole thing,

It is closed...so, hypothetically, if I wanted to try the starter fluid again, I would need to open the plate, squirt, then let it close again?

As long as it is putting fuel into the cylinder when moving the throttle or it is possibly flooded. Which we then hold the choke plate open to clear it and get it running. Yes you have to pop it open and the throttle to squirt into the intake.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!

I will keep you updated. Thank you for understanding my laymen's terminology and deciphering it all!

Not a problem. That should walk you through the whole carburetor

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans