Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1993 ford ranger 4.0 engine aut trans. it starts up…

Customer Question
I have a 1993...

I have a 1993 ford ranger 4.0 engine aut trans. it starts up then shuts off within a second. it will do this over and over .we switched the two relays in the fuse box but it still does the same thing when you fill the relay when the key goes to start it fills as though the relay is energizing then shuts off right away

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

178000 yes its been starting up normally

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes . switch the starting relay out with the relay next to it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a suppition that sme one might of taken a part off this truck but not sure. i might just be paraooode

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 4 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

You need to check spark at the plugs first, then check fuel pressure with a gauge. See if you can keep it running with starting fluid being sprayed in the throttle body, another way to check for fuel starvation.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again,

I wpould rather have a ford mechanic who is with a good knowlege ofthe electronics on the ford rager. yes we did spray starter fluid in the throttle body intake and the truck cotiued to run .the fuel pump is coming on and then shuting off . like when you go right befor start on the key it spays fuel into the engine but when it start the fuel pump shuts off.

Good, then check the pressure with a gauge. If it is staying on electrically, then the pump is bad. This test will confirm if it's a bad pump or an electrical problem to the pump.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

i need to talk with a ford mechanic who ihas a good kowleg of the ectroniccs of the ford ranfer because it has additionalrelays to operated the fuel pump
could you please transfer this question to afordmechanic

You have him. It appears that you're not taking my suggestions.

I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1975 and have made many improvements over
the years pertaining to proper repairs. I also share this knowledge in the classrooms I
instruct in around the country, teaching for large companies who offer high-end training
to repair shop technicians.
It all starts with listening to the customer’s complaint, confirming it and finally doing all
the needed tests to locate the problem. All these tests require thousands of dollars worth
of specialized equipment that were designed and produced for the professional
technician. So when I recommend something for you to do, though it may seem silly to
you, please trust that I’ve “been there and done that” before. Getting a baseline is critical.
Once this is done, then I confirm what I have found wrong instead of throwing parts at it,
to be sure the problem I see is NOT camouflaged by something else.
Just like when you go to the doctor’s office for a visit, they take all your vital signs such
as; blood pressure, body temperature, weight, pulse etc.
This is my approach as well, except with the cars vital signs instead. I do everything
possible to NOT leave any stones unturned because it can cause you to misdiagnose the
problem or chase your tail.
I see so many people replace everything between the bumpers to no avail and spend
money they could have saved, if they only paid for a good diagnosis.
Sad to say, I even see people offering help to someone else by just telling them what the
parts are they should replace. Ouch!! These cars are all high tech, no room for guesswork.
When the check engine light or any lights illuminate in the instrument cluster, something
is obviously wrong, and there is not a code reader on the planet that will tell you what’s
wrong, they will only give you a code that is related to the part/circuit in question. These
parts stores check codes for free, for what reason? Hmm!

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link.

Any more questions?

Thanks again, Ron

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor